"I hoped they call me on a mission, and they did!"

Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Subbing Saga Continues......

I was really starting to wonder if this subbing thing was going to take off, but everyone assured me it was just early in the year and that there were a lot of subs out there. My working day count: August - 0, September - 1, and October - 5 with 3 scheduled, making 8 so far this month.....I think we're finally getting there.

Hughie gave me a blessing after I was hired. He said as he laid his hands upon my head, that I would be an "influence". I don't know what I was thinking, some how I envisioned me hanging out in the teacher's lounge influencing adults. Where did that come from? My time is limited in adult association at school, and maybe, just maybe over time, I might influence an adult or two. I soon saw as I set foot in my first classroom and as I have carried on, the Spirit has rested upon me, has helped me, and I recognize that I'm very much an influence on children. Every day has not been a golden moment, but every day I'm learning just like these kids are.

Happily, things have worked out too to volunteer in Sam's classroom. I started in October, going in every Thursday afternoon. I help with reading, singing (we'll eventually learn the recorder), and I'm the mom that lets them shop in their classroom store once a month with Ms. Munoz Mula (a reward system instituted by their teacher). I'm glad to be there!

"No greater responsibility can rest upon any man [or woman], than to be a teacher of God’s children." - David O. McKay
in the Conference Report, Oct. 1916, 57

1 comment:

  1. That's so fun that you get to help in Sam's class. I loved when my mom got to come to my class. I can't remember her really helping just coming to pick me up for this or that, but I was so proud everyone could she that was my mom.

    ReplyDelete