"I hoped they call me on a mission, and they did!"

Friday, June 7, 2013

On the Way Home


Sister Reynders with her final companion,
Sister O. from Honduras
My niece, Janet (Sister Reynders), comes home next week. Only Janna will be going for a visit and attending the Reynders' ward Sacrament meeting to hear Janet speak.  We'd all like to go, but Hugh and I will be attending a cousin's wedding that weekend, so it's the usual divide and conquer situation at our house when we have more than one event to go to.

Last week Janet gave a tour to sister missionaries from the MTC that will be arriving to serve on Temple Square - June 12 - the day Janet leaves to go home.  Here our some final insights from her latest letter:
One of the Sisters asked me, "So what is your favorite part about missionary work?".....It seems like a common question but I actually hadn't really answered that question very often.  My response was, "Helping someone feel happy."  I went further to explain that it's via the gospel that happiness is brought.  I told her, "Honestly, if I can help every person I come in contact with feel a little bit happier then I have done what God has asked of me."  A missionary's purpose (and really all disciples of Jesus Christ) is to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and his atonement; through repentance, baptism, receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. It is this that brings true happiness. As I have been thinking about my response to that Sister yesterday, my purpose really will not be any different after the mission. Honestly, if I can go through everyday helping someone feel happy and helping someone see that they are important and loved then I am keeping an eye single to our Heavenly Father's glory.
Inspiring words from an inspiring lady.  I can't wait to see her again, but I'm going to have to wait my turn.  I'm so pleased with her service.  I'm so proud of her diligence.  Best wishes Sister Reynders - continue to go forth and serve.

"Be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you" (1 Peter 3:15).

No comments:

Post a Comment