"I hoped they call me on a mission, and they did!"

Thursday, October 7, 2010

I Have a Garden - An Autumn Garden

If I post pictures of my garden it's usually in the spring, but after our recent rainy days I looked at my garden this morning and thought it especially pretty.  Unfortunately my pictures don't show the beauty I saw.  My photos had too much glare, so I cropped out the glare parts and revealed some of the area where the tree's morning shadow casts across the flora.  It will have to do.

 
This makes me think of a favorite song I learned as a child in Primary. It's a song I would sing and rock my babies to.  I even sing it now, to myself. I love the old French melody and the message.  I have never forgotten it. The words are by Mary Hale Woolsey:
I Have a Garden
I have a garden, a lovely garden,
With flowers blossoming ever fair;
Where sun shines brightly, and rain falls lightly,
And breezes gather sweet fragrance there.
Songbirds come singing out of the sky;
Butterflies winging, hovering by;
And in my garden, my lovely garden,
There's always beauty to greet the eye.

I have a garden, a secret garden
Where tho'ts like flowers grow day by day;
'Tis I must choose them, and tend and use them,
And cast all wrong ones like weeds away,
Goodness and love are seeds that I sow;
God up above will help me I know,
To keep my garden, my heart's own garden,
A place where beauty will always grow.

Mary Hale Woolsey is also the author of the more famous, "Springtime in the Rockies".  This was a favorite song of my mother. It was a goal of hers to learn to play it on the piano.  I remember her practicing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment