"I hoped they call me on a mission, and they did!"

Friday, June 10, 2011

The NC Trip (May 11 - 17)

So it was off to Angie's wedding - North Carolina or BUST!

I don't travel well because I haven't done it much. Every time I go somewhere it's a new adventure, like a full body scan at LAX - YIKES! And remind me not to bring so many clothes. Like I have any to start with. Becky and I could have rented a car for what we paid to check in an extra bag each, both ways - live and learn.

It was a good thing I had Becky along to keep me straight. I thought I was there to help her. Becky was good at following signs and directions. Me, I'm always second guessing everything which only got us off track. Maybe I'll get the hang of it all someday.
Me on vacation, ironing tablecloths. There's a good time!  Really, the point of the trip was to help Beth and all with the wedding.  I stayed up late and watched two movies as I ironed.  The next day we decorated the cultural hall in Garnet.
Raleigh North Carolina Temple - May 14 
Becky at the temple.

Introducing Mr. and Mrs. Anderson

All the family that came to greet the couple at the temple.

Fun reception with dancing, photobooth, food, and more.

Sister and brother reunion, Beth and Mark.

Me with the happy couple.
I was so glad I got to be there for their special day.

Becky with Edward and Angie
Off to the Bahamas, "We're outta here!"

"See ya!"
 Sunday afternoon, we drove to Pinehurst, home of big beautiful golf courses.  It was also a time of reminiscing because this is one of the places my brother Mark served as a missionary over 30 years ago.  This home is where he use to live.  It's divided into places of business now, one being a coffee shop.
Had to take a photo. 
We found an old house, now a place of business.  
It's called the BLAIR HOUSE.
 
Monday we did a little touring.  Beth wanted us to take a picture of this landmark.  Our McMullin relatives came from North Carolina.  We don't think they were necessarily Quaker, but we think they at least hung with the Quakers living in the area.  Anyway, it is Beth's assumption that our ancestors would have been at some of these meetings at Dunn's Creek.

We stopped at this old farm house for a guided tour.  It belonged to the John and Amy Harper family who definitely had Confederacy sentiments, but was taken over by the Union army and utilized as a hospital on the bottom floor while the family lived upstairs.  The hospital cared for both Union and Confederate soldiers, but when the Union army left they took only their soldiers with them.  The family cared for the rebel soldiers who were left.  The Bentonville Battle was fought on these grounds (that's why the home was taken over as a hospital).  We learned a little history and viewed a few other buildings on the property too.  Our relatives had moved away from North Carolina before the Civil War and were living in Missouri by this time.
We finally arrived home after seven busy days.  What the trip was really all about - FAMILIES ARE FOREVER. I'm grateful Becky was able to make the big trip to see her cousin's wedding and I'm glad I got to go too.

“When you look at your life
the greatest happiness
are family happinesses."

No comments:

Post a Comment