"I hoped they call me on a mission, and they did!"

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Apple Cider Syrup

Last week I made french toast.  Nothing new there, we usually do french toast, pancakes, or waffles at least once a week.  It's usually on the weekend or a holiday when we have a little time when we're not quickly out the door for work or school.  Anyway, I made a syrup I found on the Internet, but I tweaked it enough to call it my own.  It's a keeper at our house and I thought I'd share it:

Martha's Apple Cider Syrup

 2 cups apple cider or apple juice (I use apple juice.)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Mix together sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a clear glass bowl.  Stir in juices and place in a microwave oven.  Cook on high (I start with five minutes).  Stop and stir periodically.  Keep cooking, (I don't have a definitive time.) mixture will start to thicken and boil.  Boil hard for 1 minute.  Remove, stir, and add butter.  When butter has melted serve with pancakes, waffles, or french toast.

This recipe makes about 2 1/2 cups.  It easily doubles if you have a really big group to serve.  It has a very mild apple flavor. A warm great taste with the cooling fall weather.  Our family really enjoyed it.  Hope you like it too.

"The belly rules the mind." 
~Spanish proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment