"I hoped they call me on a mission, and they did!"

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Nepali St. Paul

Each week my sister-in-law, JoLinda, sends me the letters from her missionary children. I wanted to share part of Elder Reynders letter. He's now serving in his second area - St. Paul, Minnesota.  I find his situation fascinating and inspiring - read on and then watch the video:

I have a lot of stuff to tell you because this area is absolutely nothing like Buffalo. I am in the center of St. Paul. I can see the Cathedral [and] hear the bells every day. I thought NPS stood for North Saint Paul, but it actually stands for Nepali Saint Paul. This means I work a ton with Nepali people. They are all refugees that came to the U.S. in the last 5 years. Most of them are Hindu. They eat curry and every time we go into one of their homes they feed us. I love their food. I have no idea what they are saying though. I get to study Nepali for an hour every day and I love it. I have been wanting to learn another language for the past couple of months and now I get to.

My companion, Elder M------, is still learning Nepali. I replaced the only native Nepali in our mission and he spoke Nepali fluently. I am not sure why I got put here, but I like it. My Nepali name is Sagh-meer. It is easier for the Nepali people to say than Elder Reynders.

I love the city. There are almost no white people. I love diversity which there was very little of in Buffalo. My mission President called my new area the U.N. because there are people from all over the world in this area. In the past five days I have met people from West Africa, Bangladesh, Nicaragua, Mexico, Nepal, and Thailand. My whole district serves in my ward. There are 8 Elders. There are two sets of Karen Elders. Karen (pronounced Ka-REN) - they are a minority of Asians from Thailand, then the English Elders, and me and Elder M------, the Nepali Elders. My zone is the St. Paul Asian Zone. All the Hmong Elders are in our Zone along with my district.


And this gospel
of the kingdom
shall be preached
in all the world
for a witness
unto all nations;
and then
shall the end come.



HURRAH FOR ISRAEL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment