"I hoped they call me on a mission, and they did!"

Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Temple - 2012

“If we are observant,
if we are thoughtful,
time can teach us much.”


Los Angeles Temple

I usually review my yearly goals in late December or early January.  Here it is June - that's an indicator of how my life has been.  Anyway, I want to share even though I'm six months late.  I might mention that my temple attendance had been so satisfying in 2011 that I didn't even set a goal for 2012 about the temple. My decision to go to the temple every week came later in January, read on . . .

For years I have been trying to push myself beyond my usual monthly visit to the temple.  At one time I  wanted to double my attendance, but I usually ended up with about 18 visits a year. Then in August of 2010, I was pondering some things I was prayerfully concerned about; a prompting clearly came, "Go to the temple every week."  That didn't seem a likely possibility, all sorts of things can keep you from the temple, not to mention my busyness; but, whatever, in spite of the obstacles I felt impressed to do it.

One big barrier for me was driving; the LA Temple is not around the corner and I take antihistamines.  I'm always tired, not to mention behind the wheel.  Problem solved:  I don't take an antihistamine in the morning when I go to the temple or at least one that would make me drowsy.  With my reliable Toyota RAV, me not sleepy, the way was open and I started driving each week and taking people along with me.  I picked a day that suited me for the week, tried to fill my car, and I was off.  Sometimes I went alone. I was pretty consistent, but every once in awhile I'd miss.  I wasn't real concerned about missing because I figured it was inevitable. I knew I would be subject to something that would get in the way of my weekly attendance - sickness, weather, home concerns, etc. I didn't want to become discouraged if I did miss; what can I say, life happens.  I was pleased with my efforts and I was definitely feeling the benefits.

In early January of 2012, Jordan M. asked with bright eyes and a cheerful smile, "Are you still going to the temple every week?"  He was very positive in his request to know ( I took his elderly parents at least once a month), but I reacted somewhat negatively; relaying that I was trying to go every week, but the reality was - impossible. That was the end of our conversation, but with my disheartened feelings the Spirit immediately questioned me, "Why are you talking that way?"  It got me thinking . . . and with that prompt I felt encouraged to carry on - maybe, just maybe, I could go to the temple every week for a year. I felt like my Heavenly Father wanted me to and that He would help me.  I had my track record; I had already been very consistent for almost a year and a half. I was only a few weeks into January and had made it those few weeks without any interruption.  I sat down and mapped out the year considering all the commitments I was already aware of for 2012; then, to fine tune, I checked the LA and Redlands Temples schedules knowing both would be closed at different times.  I was then prepared with tentative dates for each week.

It seems unbelievable, but I made it every week - in spite of sickness, weather, and other concerns.  I didn't always have to drive; there were others who had weekly commitments I could get a ride with when I needed to. I always had a backup plan. I didn't do the same thing every time I went either. Some weeks I worked as a volunteer going with my husband on the 3rd and 5th Fridays. Another time I didn't attend the temple to serve others who had passed on, but I took my friend Lisa to tour the new Brigham City Temple

My closest miss involved being pulled over by a police officer, missed an off ramp, and then panicked at the lost time; I sobbed the rest of the way to the Redlands Temple praying in my heart that I'd make my appointment.  I was late, but they accommodated me for just a few minutes of service before they closed for the afternoon.  Just the orchestration of it all with my schedule was amazing, but it worked.  Every week was an adventure; who went with me, when, and what I learned.

More than ever before, I realize how important the temple is.  How blessed I am to be able to go and feel the peace.  I am so grateful to help others experience the temple as I serve as a volunteer.  I know I'm just baby steps into understanding all that can be learned, but in this weekly effort I took a big leap forward.  I'm back to my old ways this year. It wasn't like I didn't go before (usually once or twice a month, maybe even three), but 2012 was a time of strengthening that my Heavenly Father knew I needed. That consistency of going to the temple every week has carried me through much trial and I am still carried by the spiritual lift I received.  I'm definitely getting like my dad who has always had a great testimony of the temple and it's benefits; there's no doubt about it, it's all about the temple - meaning, it's all about CHRIST.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I feel blessed to have a temple around the corner, it is inspiring that you make it with that drive through traffic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been inspired to be a little better. thank you.

    ReplyDelete