"I hoped they call me on a mission, and they did!"

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Counting Blessings - Day 7

Me and Melanie

I am happy to have a lot of friends.  Please don't feel slighted because I don't name you all in this post.  I am grateful for all my friends, but today I am thankful for old friends.  You don't have to be old to be an old friend, but it happens that way sometimes. Lots of times you don't even have to know someone for very long to become friends; in fact, sometimes you're the best of friends the minute you meet.   But the thing I think is remarkable about old friends is that when you get together after years of being apart you pick up right where you left off.

While in Arizona I was able to rendezvous with my old friend Melanie. We had a good year and a half together back in the day. It was over 20 years ago where Melanie and I found ourselves neighbors with several children the same age; in a way we were comrades in arms as we trudged and happily experienced the ups and downs in the daily life of motherhood - at home, church, school, and in our neighborhood. Melanie was a delight to be with and we spent many a day together.  It was too bad our happy camaraderie had to end. They're family moved on to another job, in another state, and we were left to mourn our loss of something that was once very good.  We had our memories and the hope of finding other friends just as wonderful, just as helpful, just as supportive, and we DID.

It was great seeing each other. We ate together and had a nice visit, but didn't come close to catching up. We have a lot in common and a lot to share so the conversation could have gone on and on, but here's just one fun fact:  Our "little boys" are the same age, freshman in high school, and both named "Sam".  Hopefully we'll see each other again - sooner instead of later.

Glad to see you Melanie - it was a good day - another one to add to a list of happy memories. 

I sang this as a Girl Scout:

"Make new friends,
but keep the old.
One is silver
And the other gold."

No comments:

Post a Comment